Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is North and SouthBridge and do they need fans?

• Please log in to reply

fantasymon

fantasymon

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Maybe I'm asking a difficult question, I don't know but this is my third time to ask this:

What are Northbridge and Southbridge and do they require fans. Are these what "chipset fans" are? My motherboard says it is 84C and all I want to know is if I forgot to install a fan on my new build.

thank you.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Maybe I'm asking a difficult question, I don't know but this is my third time to ask this:

What are Northbridge and Southbridge and do they require fans. Are these what "chipset fans" are? My motherboard says it is 84C and all I want to know is if I forgot to install a fan on my new build.

thank you.

Its just the chipsets for your motherboard and no you do not have to have a fan on them at all but some manufacturers put them on the boards. If they dont have a fan it will usually have a heatsink of some type to absorb the heat abit.

The Northwood is the one that will have a heatsink of some sort or either it might have some kind of fan (maybe) it depends on the motherboard manufacturer like I said. No, if it doesnt have a fan that doesnt mean that you have to get one but yes you can buy some and install one on your motherboard if you wanted to.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
North bridge controls the "northern" part of the motherboard. The south bridge controls the "southern" part of the mobo. That being said, much more happens on the top of your motherboard, CPU, AGP, or PCI-E, exc. ... Thats is why it has a heatsink and fan. It does more work than the southbridge.

In my opinion, i think that the southbridge will eventully be eliminated, and that there will almost be a 2nd CPU contolling the devices on the motherboard. Knowing how things are getting smaller and more space compatible I think that might be the next step.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its only the intel boards that have a proper southbridge anymore, AMD eleminated its main function when they put the memory controller into the cpu.