Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Celeron D 340 Acceptable Temperature

• Please log in to reply

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I personally replaced the cooling fan that came with the CPU when I bought this one. It was pretty pathetic. Now mine runs at about 41C when idle and about 51-53C when under full load. The only time that i have had it higher than that was when I left the computer on for a long time and the outside temp had gone up some here as well, it got a little higher, but not much really. I would definately suggest to anyone to make sure to replace the stock fan if it comes packaged with the CPU, they are usually worthless.

Edited by The_Shadow_630, 01 May 2006 - 07:49 PM.

Advertisements

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Odd thing just happened recently. My CPU started running high again, I am working on possible malware issues at the moment to see what it is, but it is once again running at 50-53C when idle. Not temperatures that I like to see must I say. I know that they are not high, just higher than I would like them to be. Any ideas on what could be causing it with exception of malware running on the computer?

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Just to warn you. Intel processors tend to heat up to some extreme temperatures due to a motherboard cooling problem. Sometimes these boards can heat up all the way to 167' F.! All you need is a way to keep the motherboard as cool as possible because if the temperature gets too high, the parts will start to heat up and sometimes melt. This will cause you to buy new parts for your system.

Edited by Anton1382, 10 May 2006 - 04:01 PM.

goo321

goo321

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ok, you guys convinced me to change the fan. (idle about 53° C) (50-51° without case )(still not certain it is necessary)

is there a fan you recommend for these things, or any minimum requirements? (there’s a good price range)(looked in amazon.com and tigerdirect.com)
I assume they all have the same size screw locations.
don’t believe it's necessary to change the heatsink. assume its ok.

apologize if questions are too simple or posted elsewhere.

my beautiful computer:
Posted Image

has videocard ($45 - with shipping) that supports two monitors.

Edited by goo321, 19 May 2006 - 11:33 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, usually the heatsink is more important that the fan, but most are sold together

I like the zalman fans

http://www.newegg.co...113#DetailSpecs

Thermaltake makes good cpu cooling packages, too

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a interesting article on polishing the heatsink for 2 to 5° lower temp. It costs a lot less than buying a fancy heatsink with the same result.

http://www.ramsinks.com/lapping.asp

I also like the vantec thermo fans. Heres a article on it. Directron and nexfan has 92mm to 80 mm adapters which i use. Just watch for the clearance next to your powersupply. You can get a 80 mm thermo fan also.

http://www.cluboverc...lycon/index.htm

SRX660