Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

dcstanle

dcstanle

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
About 6 months ago, I installed a 200GB Maxtor SATA hard drive for extra storage on my PC. The drive is plugged into the second SATA port on my motherboard. (The first port has a 160GB Maxtor SATA hard drive)

Today I noticed that the additional (F:) drive is not showing up when I look at "My Computer." Even an MS-dos prompt will not bring up the drive.

I took the drive out of it's dock and when the computer was rebooted, I could feel the drive "working." However, the drive is still not recognized.

I appreciate any help you can give!

Advertisements

Michael-too

Michael-too

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I have a problem with a new USB external hard drive that is not being recongized by my computer. I used the computer's USB port and the USB bus with the XP plug and play and nothing, I used computer Mgt and my computer can't find the hard drive to format.

I put in my fash on the USB port and USB bus and the computer recongized the flasl both times so I know the computer and the USB bus are working.

Is there anyway I can get this hard drive working? I know the hard drive needs to be formatted but if the computer doesn't see the hard drive how can I format it?

Any help or suggestions would be appricated.

Thank you for your time

Cordially,
Michael-too