Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't post or boot

• Please log in to reply

Honda_cb750

Honda_cb750

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm working on a computer for a friend. It's a Gateway Model #FLEXATXSTC with Celeron processor. On power on, the power light comes on, but it doesn't check the hard drives, or post or boot. Also, nothing on the monitor. If I turn the monitor on with the computer off, it does a self check, and says it's "ok, but to check the computer cables and power". If I then turn the computer on, shortly the message goes away, but that's all. The drives voltages are +5VDC (5.06) on the red wire, and +12 VDC (11.92) on the Yellow. The motherboard voltages are +12 VDC (11.92) on the Yellow, +5VDC (5.06) on the red, purple, gray, +3.35 volts on Orange, -11.81 volts on Blue, and 0 VDC (+.040) volts on green. I have taken out the PCI modem card, unplugged the mouse and ketboard (USB), removed the RAM, reset the CMOS, nothing has made any difference. I can't remove anything else, it's an integrated motherboard. My guess is bad motherboard or proccessor, but I won't buy parts unless I'm pretty sure. Any educated guess's out there, or further checks I could perform? Thanks for any help, in advance! By the way, no beep codes heard, but then, no speaker!
Honda (Stan)[email protected]

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
It looks like the power supply readings are good, although I'm not sure what the green wire should measure. You might try booting up with a win98 startup disk in the floppy drive. If you do not have one, the instructions can be found on the link below.

http://www.bucks.edu...startupdisk.htm

Honda_cb750

Honda_cb750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks, but i tried that, plus it doesn't even try to access the drives. I can't even get the CD drive to open

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
You might try disconnecting the hard drive, the cd, and other devices except for the floppy drive. Then try to boot from the floppy.

Honda_cb750

Honda_cb750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I had already done that, but I tried it again, no go. The system does not try to access the 3 &1/2, nor the CD, or hard drive. I have tried having only one of them plugged in at a time, and no go, and I tried unplugging the USB Mouse and keyboard, same story. As I said before, probably the motherboard or proccessor, maybe someone can make an educated guess.
Thanks for trying.
Stan

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Your voltages are good and the psu will be good enough to make it post so it ain't that.

The next thing would be to check the ram, a computer won't post if it can't find usable ram. If you had a case speaker and the ram was bad it would give 1 continues beep or you could try the ram in another computer.

Also try the ram in another slot

I could not guess on the cpu or mobo without know if the ram was the cause.

Rick

Honda_cb750

Honda_cb750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, Doby. Thanks for coming in! Since I wrote up my problem, I noticed a small, (about 1/2" Dia), 1/2" tall black thing with a small hole in the top, on the board. It looks like one of those sonic alerts to me, so I'm guessing the board has beep capabilitys. Also, I notice 2 capacitors with a triangle shape on top, that are bulged up, and it looks like there is a little bit of black 'stuff' may have oozed out. No other capacitors on the board are bulged up, nor do any of the others have a black smudge on them, only the 2 that are bulged. I'm not sure if I'll have any ram around here that I can used for testing, it has to be the right type, right? But if you agree on that sonalert thing, then I'm not getting beep tones. Then again, I don't get any beep tones with the ram removed, either. I did as you suggested and put the ram in the other slot, no difference. I won't be able to play with it anymore until Sunday, but I'll check back here tomorrow morning. And of course, when we get this thing going, we'll post the cure for academics, eh? Thanks for the help, Stan

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well sorry to say your mother board is bad if it has bulging capacitors especially if it they "ozzed".

This is one of the leading indicaters of a bad mobo. This probably was the fault of the mobo itself and not caused by any other component.

The other components are most likely still good, you need to replace the board.

sorry Rick

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
Once you are convinced that all hope is lost for the mobo you might consider having the 'bulging capacitors' removed. If they are capacitors, the board might function temporarily without them, for troubleshooting purposes. It's possible(but unlikely) that only the capacitors went bad. Most likely, however, that something else on the board went bad and took out the capacitors.

Honda_cb750

Honda_cb750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK, Guys, closer inspection with magnifying glass and bright light confirmed the problem. I had seen the black on the board, but thought it might be heat sink compund for the CEB703AL switching diode that was adjacent to the 2 capacitors. There is also a torroidal wire wound choke in this location. I wiggled the capacitor (that I was almost positive was blown) until it's leads broke of, so I could see it better. Was I surprised when the switching diode came right out, I must have bumped it slightly. Now it's apparent the blow was at the diode, and between it and the capacitors. I liked the idea of removing the caps for a test, but now I'm not going to power the board up again, no sense tempting fate. When I'm done here, I'll order a board. Lets keep this thread open, and I'll make a post here when all is fixed. Thanks for your help, Doby and bdlt! I'll be back!
Stan

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
Good luck with the new board.

Honda_cb750

Honda_cb750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The new motherboard did the trick! The damage to the board was significant, but hard to see. The bulged capacitors were the giveaway. The CEB703AL switching diode had blown so bad that it had unsoldered itself from the board! When I bumped it a little, it fell out. All is fine now, I got the new board in, and it's running. Thanks to all for the help! This thread can now be closed, should I initiate that, or will the mods do it?
Stan

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
congrats - you did the troubleshooting. Good eye. hope the new board lasts until it is obsolete.

Honda_cb750

Honda_cb750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks, I'm going to let it "burn in" 24 hours a day at least for the warranty period, 30 days, I think it was.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
The bad board is still intriguing. If the diode and caps are the only "smoked" parts, it might be salvagable. If you know the diode part number and know someone who can solder, you might have a repairable mobo for a friend. The parts are inexpensive and it sounds like a fun challenge. I wouldn't, however, touch your now working PC. Play with this in a PC that is already broken.