Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Total System Recovery Help (Destructive)

• Please log in to reply

melanies

melanies

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I have a HP desktop computer at home that will not start up. I have spoken to HP support and they have suggested that I order system restore CDs from them to do a destructive system recovery and take the computer back to factory settings. Im just curious if that will even work! As soon as I turn the computer on it just goes back and forth between the blue HP screen and the black windows xp (loading screen). I cant press F11 to do the system recovery, and it keeps saying something about an unknown password! I don't want to purchase the system restore cds if there is no hope at all for my computer......any advice would be GREAT!!!

Thank you so much

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
at the stage that you say you're at you will be hard pressed to get the system running without some form of disk..be that an actual XP o/s disk...or the hp system recovery disks...in all honesty...it's in your best i nterest to have the hp recovery disks anyway...you will eventually need them again...it sucks that you have to buy them as hp SHOULD have been responsible enough to spend 50 cents on a freakin cd...but they didn't deem that neccessary..