Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 blocking me

• Please log in to reply

AlisaViola

AlisaViola

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I got a computer from a friend and it had w2000 on it, which requires a username and password to even get windows to start. I knew the name and password, and went in to change it to my name and own password and shut it down and now it wont let me start windows with either the old name and password nor the new. Is there a way around this. I have an upgrade of windows xp I would like to put on there, but I can not even get windows to start so as to upgrade it. Please any help would be appriciated :whistling:

Advertisements

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
I moved this to the XP forum as it is obviously not a malware/HijackThis topic.

You don't need to get it to boot into Windows to do the upgrade. Just boot from the XP disk and begin the installation.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as long as you have the original os disk (i.e. windows 2000) then y ou don't need to log in to upgrade...all you need to do is boot to the xp cd...and when it asks for it..give it the 2000 cd....you don't need to get into windows at all (especially if you're wanting to completely format and start over)