Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

realplayer problem?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I hope this is the right place.

The video from CNN and those from the Michael Moore site play well but not those from the BBC which give only slowly changing still images - the audio is OK. I use BB at around 1.88Mb/sec.

I don't know what CNN uses but BBC uses realplayer. I began to download realplayer again but it said my one was a more recent one altho it's been there for at least a year.

Can anyone give an insight into this problem please?
OS Win XP Home SP 2

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geekstogo,
i think they use windows media player, if you don't have the recent download for it you can go to the following site and get windows media player 10.
http://www.microsoft...10/default.aspx
thanx
James :whistling:

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for your response.

The BBC always puts up realplayer. I have win media player 9 but that never comes up. How would I get the BBC to use WMP 10?
Actually I have read that there is a problem about WMP 10 - can't get rid of it if needed - something like that.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
that was for CNN as they use windows media player, if you only have 9 then you should update to 10 and i'll look around for the real player update. You can't change the default player on a website, but thats coming from me. Might not be right but in experience i havn't seen a way to change it.
thanx
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
try this one to update real player, i'm doing it myself right now :whistling:
James

Edit: woops forgot the link, http://www.real.com/...me/welcome.html

Edited by james_8970, 25 March 2006 - 12:53 PM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for all responses.

I have just downloaded Real Player Alternative 1.48 (get it thru Google if you want) and tried out BBC Newsnight and it plays perfectly. Problem solved if no future problems!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Good to hear if anything comes up again just let me know.
James :whistling: