Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error: "unable to contact your DHCP server"

• Please log in to reply

kaylei1

kaylei1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I cannot connect to the internet with my Dell Inspiron 1100. I have a Broadcom 440x 10/100 network card.

I have installed the lastest driver for the card and I have tried to use both winsox fix & isp fix.

When I do ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, I get an error message "unable to contact your DHCP server".

results of ipconfig /all as follows :

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name: D75TBT21
Primary DNS Suffix:
Node Type: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Physical Addres: 00-0B-DB-1E-E6-A0
Dhcp Enable: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.94.32
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
IP Address: ?
Default Gateway:
DNS Servers:?
?
?
Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address: FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled: no
IP Address: ?
Default Gateway:
NetBIOS over Tcpip: Disabled

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How do you connect to the internet?

This type of error occurs when your computer is asking another computer (usually either via a router or by the computer at your internet provider's end) for a connection to it - an IP address - to it but your computer doesn't get an IP address for whatever reason.

This can be caused by outages, temporary overload, loose cables, etc.

kaylei1

kaylei1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I am connecting through my work line. I think the connection is a T1. We are in a business center and the center has networked our offices together, so we are all on the same router. I am able to connect through this exact same equipment including the same network cable and outlet with a different computer and I have the problem with this particular machine in multiple sites (a colleague took the machine home and was unable to connect via his DSL connection that he uses successfully with a machine at home). I don't think that the connection equipment is the problem in this particular case, but thank you for the suggestion.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
So there is an issue with this machine then. Almost always the result of a spyware/malware infection that was cleaned up improperly which left the machine unable to talk to anything else.

Having said that, I've seen this issue occur when the user account in XP is damaged. Easiest thing to try is make a new one in the Control Panel, log out of the current one and into the new one and see if it can talk to your router then.

Failing that, post a HiJack This log in the Malware forum if you please to see what's running. Please don't post it here. Thank you.