Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suddenly.. caan't send emails via Outlook

• Please log in to reply

PC101

PC101

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Howdy!

Yesterday, I started getting the error message below whenever I try to send an email from my Outlook Express.

Response received is: 550-Message rejected because pool-71-96-2-xx.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net
550-(DELL2KGWP61) {71.96.2.xx]:1523 blacklisted at list.dsbl.org see
550 http://dsbl.org/listing?71.96.2.xx

If you go to http://dsbl.org/listing?71.96.2.xx <--- IP altered for safety. It tells you that this IP has been blacklisted as one that maybe is sending spam. Okay, that ain't me or anyone in my household! :whistling: It also says, contact your ISP so... I call Verizon DSL but they tell me it's actually a MSN Outlook issue. Verizon says, the IP it references is one that Outlook makes... creates... or something... when it sends out my email. Huh?! So...

I call MSN only to be told that I have to go to Dell since they made the machine. So... I go to Dell and they say everything that Verizon says is hogwash but it'll cost me $100 for them to fix it. Ugh!! So...

Does this look... sound... smell... familar to anyone??? If any admins want the actual IP lemme know, I'll PM it to you.

Could this have ANYTHING to do with the Microsoft Service Pack 2 I dowloaded a couple days ago??

I hope someone can help! :blink:

Lyte

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds like a load of poop to me....pm me the ip so i can research it...
but the bunk that verizon gave you sounds pretty funky...

PC101

PC101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure your right! I traced again the IP... 71.96.2.xx traced to: pool-71-96-2-xx.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net and it goes back to Verizon, right??

I'm on the phone with them now. Ugh! :whistling:

Lyte

Edited by PC101, 24 March 2006 - 02:29 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what that message describes is that either y our specific ip...or an ip in your range has been banned for spamming

http://dsbl.org/listing?71.96.2.xx <--if the last two xx's were real numbers it would list whether that ip is banned or not...sometimes that clears out in a day or so...sometimes she don't...not sure on their normal standards...

i've never personally seen this...but through some research it's pointing at your host ip (you not them) being black listed from sending mail...pretty annoying if you ask me

PC101

PC101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hey dsenette,

Oh yeah... I understand that IP was banned for spamming but the real question is who does the IP belong to and do they spam? Well, it turns out the IP is in fact mine... but I don't spam!! :whistling:

I got off the phone with the Verizon Supervisor who was kinda befuddled. He went to InternetFrog.com and used the DNS/IP to look up the IP and then used the WhoIs. Something about the information there confused him. Anyway... he's supposed to call me back tomorrow with some resolution. Your right, this is very annoying! :blink:

What do you mean... "...but through some research it's pointing at your host ip (you not them)... " ??

I'm going to PM you the full IP so maybe you can tell me what's gone wrong. Verizon obviously hasn't a clue!

Thanks! :help:

Lyte

PC101

PC101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Just a quick follow up in the event this happens to anyone else. Frankly, I'm very surprised that when I Googled the error message there weren't many more listings! Here's the short version...

This afternoon I spent the last 1.5 hours on the phone with Verizon. The first hour was with some tech who tells me my IP comes from my hardware... then my software... then she tells me I have to contact McAfee. Ugh! I finally get a Supervisor (2nd one) who does a ip/release and ip/renew ... and BAM... I'm back in business! Geez, I could have had this fixed three days ago!

What I learned from the guys at DSBL.org is that a whole range of IP's can be blacklisted and if your IP is sitting innocently in that range you're going to feel the fallout and it sucks! :whistling:

Thanks y'all for your help! :blink:

Lyte

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

This afternoon I spent the last 1.5 hours on the phone with Verizon. The first hour was with some tech who tells me my IP comes from my hardware... then my software... then she tells me I have to contact McAfee.

<----retarted....the ip that the internet sees comes from your ISP...not your computer at all (the ip that was banned was from your modem..not your pc)....

What I learned from the guys at DSBL.org is that a whole range of IP's can be blacklisted and if your IP is sitting innocently in that range you're going to feel the fallout and it sucks!

i assumed taht was the case

glad you got everything fixed!!