Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Video Crash

• Please log in to reply

Senor_Paco

Senor_Paco

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This has been happening for the past few months and has started to happen more and more frequently. Every now and then, when playing a game, DirectX 9, the screen will turn black and an ear piercing screech is emitted from the speakers.

Here is a better description of the crash, it usually starts by the system freezing in game. Sometimes the VPU recovers and I get that warning window from ATI saying it was recovered. Other times, the screen freezes and then goes black. The monitor power led goes from green to yellow and is searching for a usable channel. Sometimes the screen fills up with random colored pixels just before the crash, a few times this random pixel noise has remained during the "sound show."

I have a 9800 Pro 128 MB video card and I have tried both ATI's and Omega's latest drivers to no help. I thought it was a heat induced issue but since I installed two new fans, 120 cfm a piece, my GFX card barely is warm to the touch after an hour or so of gaming. Temperatures for my CPU never go above 40 C and my northbridge never gets above 17C.

Thanks to all who help me with this.

Advertisements