Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Dialup Internet Sharing

• Please log in to reply

Kaboth

Kaboth

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok I have 2 Windows XP computers networked with a simple crossover cable and Ethernet card setup. The network works fine for games, document sharing, printer sharing BUT I don't seem to know how to get one computer to use the dialup connection from the other.

I have enabled Internet sharing on both computers through network connections BUT when I open a browser on the computer which doesn't actually have a dial-up connection running it cannot go to any sites.

BTW the computer without the active Dialup connection doesn't have a modem cord going to the phone jack, is that necessary?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

BTW the computer without the active Dialup connection doesn't have a modem cord going to the phone jack, is that necessary?

No it is not

I have done this before with dialup and you can get it to work you have to use the network setup wizard in the controll panel and create a floppy and put the floppy in the second computer to setup ICS on it.

Its been awhile I have cable now but I think that should work.

Rick