Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SOLVED :Explorer Caused and invalid page fault...

• Please log in to reply

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I was trying to help my friend checking his computer out to see how can i get rid of the slow performance. What i first did was:
Installed Ad aware, Spybot and AVG Free edition, I downloaded all definitions and put it in a disk and update all of the above.
Spybot boot got 9 trojan horses...and 13 viruses, but i couldnt delete/quarantine because the computer kept freezing. So i ran Ad ware and got 514 process running, i tried to delete all of them at once but after 3 times of failing due to system hangin, i decided to run ad aware and delete only 30 at a time;it worked

After uninstalling AOL and all it freakin trash: McAfee for AOL, Spy protector and all the crap that AOL thinks its good for you but its not and Uninstalling some sort of bargain buddy and another weird name application that i know it was spyware cause it kept asking me not to uninstalling it cause it say "it only runs in the backgrounds and it helps you save money by giving you special offers", I got this message after boot up: Please enter Windows 98SE CD KEY...i copied the key from the sticker he has on top of computer, after hit enter and passing the WIN 98 SE LOGO, i got this error : Explorer Caused an invalid page fault in Module Explorer.exe at 0167:0041f31
Registers: EAX:00000000 CS=0167 EIP=0041f31..and so on..

Doing some research on the web, i got to MS support pages where they 2 useful solutions: One was repairing Explorer...the other was putting back explorer to its original version...5??

Well, it kinda confusion because when i try to repair/uninstall explorer, NO Programs are found in the list, nothing is in there. I do get the program manager window, i clikc on file-run and type command for control panel add remove, well...there isnt a program there.

I have try to get files back form cabs in cmd comand...well there isnt one..

He is running Windows 98 SE...Pentium Celeron @ 733Mhz....
At this point, i dont know if it is OEM or full version of 98SE..all i see is the sticker that has the key(its a legal copy of 98se) but i cant tell if it is OEM or not, cause he doesnt have the disk.
Any help is welcome , thank you.

Edited by Butcherboy, 25 March 2006 - 10:18 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will need to look in add and remove windows components

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
i did.....there is nothing in there...weird, isnt?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools to run system file check, replace any it asks for from the 98SE CD

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
i cant do that, the error wont let me get to desktop...it all blank. Im gonna post some pictures as soon as my digital camara recharges.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, give it a minute to arrive at the prompt with a flashing cursor then type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
..did that and got this:REPAIRING C:\windows\system.DAT

after i finished..i press the 3 key combo...passed the W98 logo, then as soon as i pass that, it wont let me go to desktop..there isn't one.
Is there a command to do the system file checker in dos prompt?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not ideal, but you can boot the PC, keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, change the boot order to CD ROM drive then hard drive, press F10 to save, load the windows CD, type Y then press enter, choose load from CD, and install windows over itself, ignore the message about windows already installed, you need the product key

You should not see any reference to formatting, do not press anything for formatting if you do

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Boot from Atapi CD Rom: FAILURE!....

LOL....this computer is beating my butt reallly hard...lol..she is winning..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have data you need on the drive then remove it, install it in another PC as a slave drive, back up the data to CDR then wipe the drive

Advertisements

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
will reseting cmos help bios recong CD rom?...i went to bios but there is not a cd rom there... :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you see BIOS defaults

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
yes..but i dont see a cd rom there...master ide...slave..floppy..but not a cd rom

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...kb/293185/en-us

http://support.micro...b/151550/EN-US/

http://support.micro...kb/190303/en-us

Butcherboy

Butcherboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
well, due to the bad experience he had with Windows 98, he is upgrading to windows 2000 .....so ill just gonna wippe out disk and install a fresh copy of Windows 2000....

One question though: Will i be able to just put the cd in drive and install it?.....after wiping out hard drive that is...