Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error message with office on one user only

• Please log in to reply

spd

spd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
We have run MS office on my computer for a couple of years with no problem. It runs on XP Home Ediution version 2002 SP2. Last night when trying to open Word, Excell or Outlook the following message appears
"This application must be installed to run. Please run setup from the location where you originally installed the application."
When you close this warning the application closes. I tried to reinstall Office with no luck.

I have now noticed that the other 3 log ins on the computer are unaffected, it is just the main one. I have tried to run my virus scan on the main log in but that closes after a few seconds. It works fine on the other log ins, detecting no virus's.

Does anyone out there know of a problem that would causes these symptoms.

Any help greatly appreciated. :whistling:

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there spd, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

Try go here and download: (Click On Link)
Windows Installer 2.0 Redistributable Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0 Genuine Windows download

This should fix your problem. Let me know if this does work.

Cool :whistling:

spd

spd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Many thanks for this. It says on the link that XP already has this. Do I download it anyway???

:whistling:

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Yes. Download it any way. If I remeber correctly, the problem occurs when you update windows and then degrade and then upgrade windows again. So try it out, nothing bad can happen anyway.

So give it a try and let me know. Cool :whistling: