Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is a ''tracking cookie''?

• Please log in to reply

shadystight08

shadystight08

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
What is a tracking cookie, whats it do, how do you get it (so i dont get it later). I had 18 of them with all different names. Do people put these on me to...''spy'' on me or see what I am doing? I might sound stupid as well as the question may be, ut oh well. im curious.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Many Web sites, even from respectable companies, place a secret computer file called a "tracking cookie" on your hard disk. This file records where you go on the Web on behalf of Internet advertising companies that later use the information for their own business purposes. In almost all cases, the user isn't notified of the download of the tracking cookie, let alone asked for permission to install it.

Cookies are small text files that Web-site operators - and third-party companies that insert ads into Web sites - place on a user's computer.

Tracking cookies shouldn't be confused with these other cookies. They have no user benefit except the vague promise that the ads you get as a result may be better tailored to your interests.

If you install and run adaware se it will offer the option to remove them

http://www.filehippo...nload_ad-aware/

shadystight08

shadystight08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thank you for your help!!