Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card & Power Supply

• Please log in to reply

Kwik8604

Kwik8604

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
H'ok so... here's the power supply..SQUARE!... ok ok ok... so to make a long story short, I give mybrother an ATI Radeon x850 Pro... he gives me a 51" RCA Projection TV. The x850 "requires" 350 watts of power... my brother's power supply's 200 watts. When I put the video card in, it starts up fine, and doesn't turn off or anything like that. I was wondering what would happen if the video card is in there for an extended period of time. My hypothesis is... that when playing a game, the computer will overheat and turn off, worse case scenario... I just don't wantto see anything getting fried beyond repair... or to the point where it needs to be repaired.

Thank you much

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would just order a 350W or 400W PSU, when the card draws more power like in a game he will probably see some very strange effects best thing is to get a new psu they arent hugely expensive just get a half secent brand one not a generic, if hes got a dell they need special PSUs.

Kwik8604

Kwik8604

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
He has a shuttle,and the shuttle PSU's are really thin

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If its a shuttle youll need to get a specail PSU for it, you can still get them though they just are a little harder to find and cost a little more, but you dont really get cheapo generic ones so theres less chance of you getting somethig that will fry his computer.

Kwik8604

Kwik8604

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
So the thing works fine in my brothers computer, no problemns at all, but he also has this window fan that has 2 10 inch fans on the computer

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
ten inch fans that must be one huge shuttle lol. think you might mean 92mm or 9cm fans.