Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

protecting wireless home network

• Please log in to reply

qcburrows

qcburrows

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello:

I have a simple network at home that consists of 2 desktops and a notebook. The desktops are connected to my D-link 624 router by the normal network cables, the notebook by a wireless connection, and it all works very satisfactorily.
All machines run Windows XP SP2 with the latest updates (the desktops have Home & the notebook has Pro).

I am wondering whether I can modify the network setup so that it is unsecured at home (I live in a very rural area with no neighbors close enough to worry about and we get our Internet access through a wireless transmission from our ISP’s tower a few miles away. I don’t want to slow down our Internet access any more than necessary and I understand that encryption will slow things down).

I would like the connection to be secured & encrypted, however, when I am away from home (e.g. airport, hotel).

The current wireless network connection is called “default” (because that is the name the initial setup program gave it, I guess).

I have looked at some of the information on this website (wow, what a resource!), but I haven’t found a direct, simple answer to my question.

Any help would be appreciated, TIA

Quentin

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello qcburrows and welcome to G2G, :whistling:

You confused me a bit with the following statement, so I need a little clarification:

I would like the connection to be secured & encrypted, however, when I am away from home (e.g. airport, hotel).

Are you talking about:

1. Taking along your Laptop and making it more secure while you are connecting to the airports network?

..........OR..........

2. Are you talking about locking down your network at home while you are away with your laptop traviling?

We are able to do both, but I need to know hich of the two you are referring to?

qcburrows

qcburrows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you!

It is option #1 that I want -- I want to be able to connect securely with my laptop when I am away from home without putting the encryption burden on my network when I am at home.

Quentin

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the wireless security is based on the router and honestly is only used for encrypting access to the network..not for the information transmitted on t he network ....so on your home network..if you don't want encryption...don't put it...any encryption on other networks (like w hen you travel) will be dictated by that network (i.e. if you go to starbucks...the network should be encrypted because you have to buy a coffee to get on their network...at a hotel...the network probably won't be encrypted because they want ease of use..not security) hope that answers your question

qcburrows

qcburrows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

the wireless security is based on the router and honestly is only used for encrypting access to the network..not for the information transmitted on t he network ....so on your home network..if you don't want encryption...don't put it...any encryption on other networks (like w hen you travel) will be dictated by that network (i.e. if you go to starbucks...the network should be encrypted because you have to buy a coffee to get on their network...at a hotel...the network probably won't be encrypted because they want ease of use..not security) hope that answers your question

I'm sorry, but I guess I'm not knowledgeable enough to know whether that answers my question. I don't want protection at home, but I do want it away from home. Are you saying that I have to depend on the security system or settings of the network in the airport or hotel? What I want is to be able to give myself some protection away from home regardless of the remote network's setup.

Q