Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

programs not responding

• Please log in to reply

grancats

grancats

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all!! Please help--I've tried everything I know to do--my computer has started freezing when running programs, and when I do ctrl-alt-del to get the task manager, it tells me that the programs is not responding--it has happened in internet explorer also--please someone help!!

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, I have a bad feeling about this, it sounds like something malware based but anyway lets hope it is just some program conflict for the moment, if you cannot get into tastmanager, try this little program which is free and stand alone(no installing) link:

http://www.sysinternals.com/

With the above you should be in your computer seeing the tasks. Another idea, have you tried looking at the what starts up on your computer, to do that do the following:

press: the window flag botton on the keyboard with the R botton,
type in the window that appears: msconfig
mouse over to: start up

I am working blind here so I have no idea what your start up are but if you see something really wacky just untick it.

Last point, in the place where you typed msconfig, type appwiz.cpl, that should bring up your add/remove programs panel which might show you something new and unasked for.

The above takes minutes, but after these checks it will be time to do the steps for removing malware link below:

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html