Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp won't start

• Please log in to reply

oliviaorange

oliviaorange

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey there- I have a Sony Vaio with Windows XP and don't know much about computers.

My computer was running a little slow yesterday so I rebooted it and it was fine. Then this morning I got a message saying that there was a corrupt file and I needed to run CHDSK Utility. When I went to try to run it my computer froze. I turned it off and on again and got the message that Windows XP can't start because <windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt, please reinstall. I can't reboot in safe mode or in last working configuration as was advised on other similar posts, I get the same corrupt file message. I have also unplugged my external hard drive and all other USB cords. I have my system and application recovery disks, but would like to see if there is anything I can try before running recovery. Is there a place on the internet I can download this dll?

Thank you,
Laura

Advertisements