Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Drive doesn't show up in "My Computer"

• Please log in to reply

doctorbobf

doctorbobf

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was gifted with a Dell with Windows 2000 SP4. It runs fine, but the A (floppy) drive can't be accessed, nor does it show in Explorer, Send To, or any other way. The drive runs fine, but I have swapped it out anyway with a new cable as well. It does run as shown by the fact that when I put a HDD diagnostic that loads before Windows does, that A drive is accessed, and interacts OK in DOS. There is no evidence of an IRQ conflict, and when I go in as Administrator and set the Group Policy Editor to show all drives, the A drive is still absent.
I tried removing and reinstalling the drivers twice. The Device Manager shows the controller to be fine, but the device shows a yellow flag and the message that the unit won't work because the drivers won't load. I get Error Message Code 31.
What am I missing ?

Edited by doctorbobf, 26 March 2006 - 03:27 PM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Normally when one has that little yellow triangle, it means that the exact driver is missing. Frist line is see if you have the cd of drivers that came with the comp, second would be to go to Dell's site choose, choose drivers and look up model and lastly just a hunch, but as windows 2000 is NTFS then one could see what happens with an XP cd as the source when you next try uninstall/reinstall the driver from the devmgmt.msc

doctorbobf

doctorbobf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried with the original driver from another Windows 2000 machine, and also tried with the same file from XP, all to no avail. I gave up and took the easy way out: I reformatted the machine and reinstalled Windows 2000. Everything is running smoothly. I had backed up my files, and since have all the install disks, I am now running fast and lean. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thank you, I imagine this site always appreciate feedback, at least I do, one last suggestion in case this happens again. A program called drivermagician can store your drivers into a folder so that later should one of them go amiss you will have it ready. I myself haven't gone on to buy it but that aside it is useful and one day I might. link:

http://www.drivermag...m/download.html

Edited by fleamailman, 30 March 2006 - 05:17 AM.