Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my documents wont open

• Please log in to reply

beautron

beautron

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
when opening my documents folder, windows explorer shutsdown.
very strange. if i use a shortcut to a folder inside my documents i can fiew that folder, but if then i move up a folder to my documents it shutsdown the folder. thru windows explorer too and thru the desktop my documents shortcut too. if it was from a bad registry key delete or modification, all my backups r in my documents so i cant view them either to import one back in.
what should i do?
thanks, micky b

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi beautron...

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (Again...note the space) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
i have done both the things u say to do and the problem is still there.
i moved my documents to c:\my documents to c if it could b the area on the disk(not sure if it actually moves the folder physically on the disk or not) and the problem is still there.
im stumped.