Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows updates

• Please log in to reply

dingycookie

dingycookie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
IF microsoft IS GONE STOP DOING WINDOW'S UP DATES WILL OR IS THERE OTHER LINKS TO GET UP DATES :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Windows Updates are usually 2nd Tuesday of the month, if you visit updates and it says no critical updates, that's fine

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

IF microsoft IS GONE STOP DOING WINDOW'S UP DATES WILL OR IS THERE OTHER LINKS TO GET UP DATES :whistling:

Howdy and welcome to G2G:

If you are referring to Microsoft stopping support for Win98/98SE shortly, that means all free updates will cease as well..

So, if Microsoft is no longer providing updates/fixes, etc., there will be nothing to get from anywhere!!

Murray

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

So, if Microsoft is no longer providing updates/fixes, etc., there will be nothing to get from anywhere!!

Not true. There is at least one unofficial project for Windows 98SE and maybe an unofficial one for ME as well. Unofficial but they contain the official patches.

I dare say its the updates for Microsoft Windows that will cease to be available - those for Internet Explorer 6 and what not will probably remain available so Windows Update won't be totally obselete for 98*Guest users, considering IE6 is only as old as XP.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Not true. There is at least one unofficial project for Windows 98SE and maybe an unofficial one for ME as well. Unofficial but they contain the official patches.

I dare say its the updates for Microsoft Windows that will cease to be available - those for Internet Explorer 6 and what not will probably remain available so Windows Update won't be totally obselete for 98*Guest users, considering IE6 is only as old as XP.

Neil:

Had you read my post and the question, you would have seen I said no further updates and patches.. Nothing new will be provided..

The poster asked about WINDOWS... NOT the browser IE !!!

Murray

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

The poster asked about WINDOWS... NOT the browser IE !!!

Just clarifying the situation.