Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DOS/BIOS not detecting DVD-drive/floppy drive.

• Please log in to reply

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Its the weirdest thing, in windows both the drives work fine I can save stuff to em, burn disks, etc. I was trying to re-flash my BIOS, I followed asus's instrustions saved the new BIOS to a floppy then re-booted, it doesnt read it (yes, I changed the boot order). Then I tried to do the same with a CD, same problem, the drive light comes on it spins up but it just boots normally. What the... is goin on here? I need to run memtest because I think some of my new memory is bad. I cant set it to the proper settings 2-3-2-6-1, and make it boot. It just sits there and nothing, and then because I cant use a floppy or CD to reset the BIOS, I have to reset the CMOS so it reverts to the default settings and boots up. Which really sux cuz I gotta take out the bottom video card to get at the battery. Anyway, any ideas?Suggestions? Thanx in advance.
-Pete.

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
So I write asus support, and they tell me to try another ATAPI device. Whats the chances of BOTH of these drives being bad? I mean they work just fine in windows, could it be something with my BIOS not reading the drives right? I mean I can format and do what I need to do in windows just not in dos prompt. ANY ideas, suggestions? Any sort of response would be appreciated.
-Pete.