Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB problems

• Please log in to reply

frantina

frantina

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've got a dell inspiron 8600. the problem that I have is that my usb drives don't work. I would love them to work. I've troubleshooted them and my computer says they work but they aren't working still. What can I do? Could it be a malware problem and I'm in the wrong place or could it be that my system is messed up?

Advertisements

loadsafuniam

loadsafuniam

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
have they ever worked? did they stop working after you installed something??.. can u give a little more info?

frantina

frantina

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yeah they worked before. They worked for a year, then my warrenty ran out and they quit. I didn't install anything to make them stop working knowingly. I did have a huge malware infection that got cleaned up and then they quit working shortly after that. But I don't think it has anything to do with that mostly because I got my computer checked out and they ran different opperating systems on it and the usb didn't work and they said it was the that the ports are faulty. They also suggested that I get a usb pcm card and I did and that still didn't work. So now I just don't know what to do.

loadsafuniam

loadsafuniam

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
so they were working before, and you changed operating systems to Windows XP, and they stopped working, and the person who did it said they were faulty?

Have you updated with any Windows service packs yet?

frantina

frantina

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've always had XP. I had a malware infection got that fixed and shortly after that they stopped working. I took it in to a place on the campus where I live and they ran some tests and said that it was the USB ports that were faulty. However my computer says that they are ok.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-frantina – [USB Ports not working]
29th March 2006

frantina – Welcome to – [Geeks to Go]

Is this in regards to the ipod Post [??]

I did have a huge malware infection that got cleaned up and then they quit working shortly after that. But I don't think it has anything to do with that mostly because I got my computer checked out and they ran different opperating systems on it and the usb didn't work and they said it was the that the ports are faulty

I will contact a [Malware Tech] – so they can recheck your PC for any – [New/Old Malware Infection]

It is best to only troubleshoot 1 item at a time & is also better to eliminate the worse offender 1st – I will have them review both of your topics & if they determine possible Malware – they may move your Post to – [Malware Forum] – where it will be looked at faster – Keep in mind – it may be awhile – 2-4 days They are busy & get 5 Posts every 10 minutes

This way you will know – for sure – that your PC is Safe –and I can also be certain that Malware is not a factor -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 29 March 2006 - 03:17 PM.