Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everything with notepad

• Please log in to reply

Ben-416

Ben-416

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
hi,my friend is having problems with her comp,everything opens in notepad,if she clicks start then run..and trys to run anything that way it brings up notepad with text like...

$ ΗΕύ/ƒ€“|ƒ€“|ƒ€“|@«œ|‡€“|@«Ξ|–€“|ƒ€’|;₯“|@«Μ|˜€“|@«Ν|‚€“|@«σ|”€“|@«Ι|‚€“|Richƒ€“| PE L Ν|A ΰ 

θ € £‘             H0  €      |ή ά  Έm   ΨF @ P ΰ   .text Hζ  θ  `.data

i havent a clue what the problem is,any ideas?Thanks

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Somehow the file associations got changed. The first option is to try to restore the system to a date just prior to the problem's start.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

If a restore point cannot be found your friend might want to try resetting the file type associations using a text file download from HERE. Save the text to a file named something like "defaultassocs.bat" (no quotes). You will probably want to download this and make a file on a properly working computer and then transfer it by way of floppy, USB flash drive, etc., to the afflicted computer. I would also suggest going to the command prompt to run this .BAT file.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command prompt > a:\defaultassocs.bat {subst. the actual file name}

If it turns out that either the working computer or the problem computer doesn't have a floppy drive, then burn the BAT file to a CD in order to transfer it. A decent, free CD burning program is CDBurnerXP Pro which can be downloaded from: http://cdburnerxp.se/download.php