Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

URGENT cd drive not in mycomputer,driver error

• Please log in to reply

beautron

beautron

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
my comp has started to die. i have followed lots of tips on this forum (sfc /scannow,all malware tips etc)
my documents crashes when opened.cd drive has disapeared from my computer.in device manager it has a yellow exclamation mark, ie driver is corrupt r missing and i cant reinstall it r find an update, even on the cdrom manufacturers website r dells website. i want to fresh install windows but cant use my cd drive and dont have a floppy drive at all. on top of this i have lost my windows cd so im gonna have to use my parents toshiba recovery cd or my bro's xp pro cd and hope they work on my dell (assuming i can get my cd drive working.
please help me dudes
what should i do

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, right click the CD ROM drive, click remove, confirm then reboot

Windows will install the driver as it loads

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
i removed it yesterday n when it relinstalled it said it reinstalled with an error.ill do it again now just to make sure.
thnks

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
ok i did that, rebooted, it instlled the driver again but it still has the exclamation mark, saying the driver could not b loaded as it may be corrupt r missing.
what next would ye say?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which make and model is the drive?

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
hitachi lg "HL-DT-ST-RW/DVD GCC 4241N"
on the dell website i cn only find a firmware update for it which only resolves a minor burning issue.
on the lge.com website there r no drivers for that model.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I could not find anything

Did you right click it then click update driver

It could be worth installing the firmware update

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
when right click update driver it sais it could not find a better driver than the one i am currently using.
ill install the firmware update anyhow n c what the [bleep] is going on.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
After this you could look at repairing XP if you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2, you need an XP SP1 CD

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
ye see the whole thing is i cant use cd's at all now. the cd drive can eject and when a cd is inserted it spins a bit, but the system is not recognising the drive as functioning.
id get me a xp boot disk but i dont have a [bleep]in floppy drive.
i needs to get me cd drive funtioning again.
shite

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could be lucky if the preparation for the repair loads the drivers, otherwise, you need to have the drive checked

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Its worth mentioning that just because XP doesn't recognise the drive, that doesn't mean that it won't be usable doing a OS reinstall or a fresh install. The CD/DVD drive may be fine and that the XP OS is messed up.

Edited by WinCrazy, 28 March 2006 - 12:35 PM.

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
ok i cant do a repair as i only have an xp pro cd, and my version is home.
i however can use my cd drive when during post hit f12 and select boot from cd.
when the shell loads, my cd drive is [bleep]ed.
very [bleep] and strange.
any more ideas?
thanks for ur help

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
if i fresh install with my bro's xp pro cd, will i, when i register it, mess with his installed copy on his computer?
can we both use the same cd?

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
i sorted the cd drive issue (the most pressing issue)
uninstall drivers for cd drive in device manager. but instead of rebooting to reload drivers, rightclick on another device and search for hardware changes. worked a treat.
this was brought on by uninstalling cd burning software "record now". i saw that there are issues with certain burning softwares which can make the driver [bleep]ed.
so there we go. thanks for the help dudes.