Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

substitute for windows explorer

• Please log in to reply

wright3279

wright3279

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Is there a good substitute for windows explorer? What are someone's experiences with one? I'm so tired of the message "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close etc."

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Sorry late night here, do you mean Internet Explorer, or windows Explorer, if it's Internet Explorer I suggest installing the safer Firefox and if windows Explorer is crashing could one have more details.

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I mean Windows Explorer. I'm already on Firefox for Internet Explorer. The latest error says: Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module wininet.dll, version 6.0.2900.2823, fault address 0x00003fb8. Microsoft help is useless. Gives about 20 things it could be and each thing is subdivided into other possible problems and each of those is subdivided more etc.
But this is ongoing. Even on other installs over the years. Thought I'd get information on other systems.
Thanks.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I don't know if this will help but it can't hurt, have you thought about repairing the windows with the windows CD, since you won't lose data that way, link below:

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

However, I myself tend to reformat/reinstall everything once in a while but I always make sure that I have all the drivers and the cds of the programs before doing that but not to do it if you are not sure of yourself. Sorry I can't think of any replacement of Explorer in windows but I am following this thread with interest.

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I just did a complete reinstall a week ago and don't want to go thru that again now. The problem I've always had with repair is that my Compaq computer did not come with a single Windows Cd. It came with a set of 3 that I use and they don't work like the ones you mentioned.

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
just a thought: checkdisk with both options[fix errors] checked?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
This may not work but I have had some success with it at times but we will need two programs a friend's copy of your XP system(home I imagine)
driver magician
magicjellybean

first back up your drivers with driver magician, reformat/reinstall with his coply, then before activation change the serial number back your number with magicjellybean and activate.

The pitfalls here are that one needs a copy of the same type XP, one may have a lot of driver finding later(even if you have the original restore disk) and not all XP copies match so it is a bit hitandmiss, pity they aren't all vlk then.

Socond question, not using your three cds, have you tried a system repair with a friend's copy of XP.

Third, has the compaq site offered any help or patches about this?

Wish I could be more help, I am following this thread with interest, doesn't sound like malware because you have just reformatted the comp and the problem is still there it seems.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

first back up your drivers with driver magician, reformat/reinstall with his coply, then before activation change the serial number back your number with magicjellybean and activate.

just to point out here.....if you use someone elses cd NEVER EVER use their key code...use yours (should be on a sticker on the comp) any time that it's asked for...

Socond question, not using your three cds, have you tried a system repair with a friend's copy of XP.

that's the best optioin...as long as the other cd is the same version and service pack as what was originally installed

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
tks dsenette for backing me here.