Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mail merge problem

• Please log in to reply

mr_malkovich

mr_malkovich

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
hey all....

i'm running outlook 2003 on windows xp. i sent a bunch of emails through Word's Mail Merge function. I even watched the counter at bottom left firing the numbers off to let me know that they're being sent. but nothing showed up in my Outbox, and nothing in my Sent Items. Anyone have an idea what's going on here? Very very vexing.

thanks in advance...

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Hello mr_malkovich,

Just a thought, could you check that the Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder has a check mark next to it. You can find this (Outlook 2002) in the Tools menu Options|Preferences and click the Email Options button.

HTH
Octagonal

mr_malkovich

mr_malkovich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
hey Octagonal... thanks for replying. That option is definitely checked. Every other email I send always appears in Sent Items. Moreover, the mail merge emails in question never even make it to my Outbox. Someone speculated that Outlook may not be my default email program, but I checked and it always has been. This is a weird one.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
mr_malkovich,

I did a bit of research and it appears that by default Outlook doesn't save a copy to the Sent Items folder when doing a Mail Merge. You can get a third party add-in for this feature although you will have to pay for it. I won't post any links to these as they may be considered as spam seeing that there is a monetary cost. If you google i'm sure that you can find one if you are that interested.

HTH
Octagonal

mr_malkovich

mr_malkovich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
hey Octagonal. are you sure about this? my friend does mail merge all the time and every single email sent goes into his Sent Items. I know because I've seen him do it repeatedly, he's the one who taught me how to use Mail Merge (and is as nonplussed as I am by this little problem I'm having). And I know he doesn't have any kind of third-party add-on software. Also, we included both our own email addresses in the Mail Merge to make sure they were sent, and we didn't receive those emails.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
mr_malkovich,

Hmmm.... I am not running 2003 here so I can't check the settings. Is your friend also using 2003? Maybe there is a setting in there somewhere that is diabling this feature for you. I could not find anything that indicates that when doing a mail merge a copy is sent to the Sent Items folder. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I couldn't find anything. Maybe someone with a bit more expertise is required. If I find anything further, I will certainly post the required info. :whistling:

Octagonal

mr_malkovich

mr_malkovich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
hey Octagonal... we're both using Office 2003. Definitely let me know if you come across any other info that you think can help me. Nobody is having any luck with this problem. I scoured my "Outlook 2003: Inside/Out" book... nothing. So all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
mr_malkovich,

I have performed a mail merge using Word and Outlook using both Office 2003 and Office XP machines (both had Win Xp as the O/S). I played around with a few settings and I could not reproduce the error that you are experiencing. On both machines the mailings always were sent to the Sent Items folders. However, I still couldn't find any real documentation as to whether this step is always performed in a mail merge. The only other possibility that I can forsee (although unlikely), is to check your Message Rules to see if there may be an entry there that may be performing this action.

I am sorry that I couldn't be of more assistance in this matter.

Regards
Octagonal