Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD player wont detect cds

• Please log in to reply

Die4me

Die4me

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I recently got hit with a lethal spyware package that contained multiple programs. I managed to get rid of everything using panda, cleanup, ewido, and manually deleting files. My computer is rather new (2 weeks old). All of this happened yesterday. As part of the cleanup I was manually deleting any files that I saw were created on March 27 assuming they were files that were neccessary (also deleted some earlier dated files in march). Unfornately I must have deleted something important because today my dvd player wont detect any of my cds anymore. I also disabled a lot of start up programs using msconfig.

I have windows XP pro and installed all the service packs. If I had to guess I'd say I'm missing a system32 or windows file but I'll let you guys determine what the problem is. Please help as soon as possible :whistling: !

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here for CDGONE patch

http://www.geekstogo...=download&id=15

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data

Die4me

Die4me

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thank you very much for the immediate response. Unfornately I bought my comp at a store so they didn't give me the XP disc or even a recover cd. Hopefully you'll be able to give me an alternative to replace/fix the files = /

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Die4me

Die4me

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Computer came with sp2. I have no one to borrow it from. I knew something like this would happen sooner or later. That's why when I bought it I told the people I wanted the XP disc and they wouldn't give it to me :whistling: So basically I gotta call up bestbuy and kick their a.s.s until I get the CD?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could go to device manager, right click the CD ROM drive, click uninstall, confirm, reboot and Windows will re-install the drivers

Long term, you will be better off with the CD

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Another option, however, if it runs, you will be back with the spyware and you would then be advised to let the Malware Team look at it

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Die4me

Die4me

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks a lot. I uninstalled it then reinstall and it works great. Can you tell me how to make a recovery cd for future problems? Also do you have a paypal account : )

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See how you get on with best buy, at least they should do a deal on XP OEM if they want to see you buying anything else from them

Die4me

Die4me

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Who should I go after, best buy or emachines. A person on another site suggested emachines, but it might be too hard to get in contact with them (waiting hours on the phone). Would I be able to demand a windows xp cd without having to pay for one?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you ask e-machines, they may tell best buy to talk sensibly with you, ask both, depending on the time and cost involved, against 75 USD for a disc

Also consider nearly everything can be corrected with a borrowed CD

Die4me

Die4me

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Here is the response I got from emachines when I emailed them:

Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting eMachines.

I see that you have concern with recovery cd for your T6420 eanchine
system.

Because all new system shipped with a System Recovery CD/DVD (Operating
System) their only option is to create a Drivers and Applications CD.

Please refer to the link below on how to create a Drivers and
Applications Cd.

http://support.gatew...MLXPH1su4.shtml

I apologize for the inconvenience but your request is not possible.

I hope that the above information is helpful in resolving this issue.

Please reply to this message if you require further assistance with
this
issue. If your reply is received while I am out of the office, to
ensure a speedy resolution, your issue will be handled by one of my
colleagues.

Sincerely,

Lane
Badge EME0047

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you told them the shop did not supply the OS recovery disc

Die4me

Die4me

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Nope I was thinking that I should but I wanted to check here first. I'll reply with that.