Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acronis True Image, Diskeeper 9.0

• Please log in to reply

Michal Pikus

Michal Pikus

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello guys,

I would like a little help as I am unable to delete one file from my Harddrive and therefore I am unable to run Diskeeper. The problem occured when I recovered a couple of files from image file (made with Acronis True Image 9). When I tried to delete it it asks me to run chkdsk after reboot. No help. I even tried to delete this file via Bootable Linux DVD (Knoppix). No success. Possibly MBR is corrupted. Do you know how to correct it without formatiing HDD and reinstalation.

Thanks for help.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Michal Pikus...

Have you tried removing the file using UnLocker or Move On Boot?

wannabe1

Michal Pikus

Michal Pikus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello wannabe,
I just tried Unlocker. But error message appears when I try to delete it with it.
No locking handle found.....
If I choose to delete the file with it. another message appears. Unlocker.exe - Corrupt File. The File or directory C:\Disk........\....\...\nhc_1.10_beta01.zip is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.
The object could not be deleted. Do you want to perform the requested operation at next reboot? When I choose yes and do restart my computer nothing happens. File is still there. As I wrote before, I even tried Linux bootable CD to delete it, so the file is definetely not locked by OS.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
This may be the result of the file system being somewhat corrupt. To fix any problems :

Start > Run > chkdsk /f /r

A box will pop up and ask you if you want to run this at the next restart. Answer 'y' and then restart.
Hopefully this will either delete your bad file or make it such that you can delete it yourself.

If that doen't work try this:
Double-click My computer on the Desktop (or Start, My Computer), select
drive, File, Properties, Tools, Check Now..., Select Options, Start.