Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Boot Problem.Arrr

• Please log in to reply

Trish

Trish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hello all......I have a HP (with xp home) and I wanted to get to safe mode, so i went to Run...and typed msconfig and changed the boot.ini to safeboot. When I restarted my computer, it comes up with a black screen that says

We Apologize for the inconvience but windows didn't start successfully..blah blah blah..

It then gave me 5 options:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe Mode with command prompt
Last known good configeration
Start windows normally

No matter what option I choose, the computer restarts and comes back to this black screen.

I have tried pressing F8 when the computer restarts, and it gives me the advanced options, but no matter what I choose, it always restarts and comes back to that black screen.

I don't have any CDs that came with my computer, because XP Home is on a partition on the Hard Drive

I read the help book that comes with the computer and it says to press F10 when the HP logo screen comes up after a restart. This is suppose to bring up the system recovery...but nothing happens.

I am actually on a friends computer writting this

Does any one have any ideas??...I am really stuck..

Thanks
Trish

Advertisements

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi Trish

Boot Disk - Windows XP (Home & Pro) boot disk

Download the boot disk, Have a formated floppl disk ready.

Run the zip file it will copy on to the floppy, now take the disk to your computer you will need to set the system to boot from the A drive.

Kc :tazz:

Trish

Trish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Cool thanks very much...I will give it a go :tazz: