Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive setup

• Please log in to reply

musicfamily

musicfamily

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am getting a new computer with two drives and I was wondering if I only used my d drive for installing programs would that make windows XP run smoother using the c drive exclusively.

TIA,

Christine...

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
YES yes it would as xp would have a little more room to breathe on the disk...also...if you install ALL programs and software on a seperate drive than the os....then IF your windows install get's corrupted..you only have to format that drive and y ou won't loose all your programs and data...same as if something happens to the apps drive..you wont have to reinstall the os..either drive partitioning or having seperate physical disks is ALWAYS the most optimum setup

theDrake

theDrake

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. I wanted to post here rather than start a new topic. I purchased a 160 GB hd a while back to upgrade my 40 GB. At the time I was not aware of the 137 GB rule windows had. I got SP2 to fix it, but had so much trouble putting the drive in I had to take it somewhere to be installed. That person just installed the drive at 137 GB, and did not include the extra 20 that is left. I was fine for a while, but my recent software for school has started to pile up, and I need the extra space.

What I did was use Windows control panel to partition the extra space (under disc management). Before I did this, I asked around on some other forums and got responses like "buy a different partition program" for 50-100 bucks! Yeah, right. If windows does it, why do I need a new program?? Anyway, I have a new partition, but I did NOT format it yet. I am too scared!! My question is will it format only the 20 GB that is on the new partition?? Or, will the entire disc C be formatted because the new partition is part of if? If that were the case, would it not format because I am running Windows, and therefore it could not format??? Thanks for any help!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you select that partition in disk manager and choose format then it will only format THAT partition...just make sure that you select the right partition and you'll be fine

theDrake

theDrake

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks! I got it done. I was just really freaked out because I have erased my HD before.