Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window XP problem

• Please log in to reply

rakanashu

rakanashu

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok my proplem is when every Windows XP loads up, all my programs load up and about 30 sec afterwards it does a memory dump. This started yesterday and im not really sure of the problem. I was thinking it was when i did Windows updates, but i did a system restore to the day before i did the updates and it still does it. It loads up in Safe Mode fine.

Computer Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64bit
RAM: 1024MB SDDR (i think SDDR)
Video: ATI Radeon X700Pro 256MB

I hope i dont need to reinstall Windows.

Thanks,
Rakanashu

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can get safe mode with networking

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD then you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data

rakanashu

rakanashu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok i tryed start>run>sfc /scannow and a command prompt opened up and close again really fast so i couldnt see what it said and it did nothing else.

also if i go into the command prompt and type it in it give me an error:

Windows file protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.

The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailible.].

Edited by rakanashu, 29 March 2006 - 06:39 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got access to another PC with XP

rakanashu

rakanashu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yes im on one now

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you search Microsoft Knowledge Base for the error, it has this

http://support.micro...kb/296241/en-us

Which is for 2000 but that is also NT based so will apply to XP as far as this goes, so do everything on there with an XP PC and yours

You can check the KB first to see if there are others

http://support.micro...m/search/?adv=1

rakanashu

rakanashu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i tryed to follow the steps on the "http://support.micro.../296241/en-us"" site but i cant because on step 4 "4. When Microsoft Management Console (MMC) is displayed, click Console, and then click Add/Remove Snap-in."

there is no Add/Remove Snap-in when i click on the Console folder.

*EDIT* imgoing to try the repair deal where you boot the computer from the CD and see if that helps at all.

Edited by rakanashu, 29 March 2006 - 07:01 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the add/remove snap-in is under file in MMC..it can also be accessed with ctrl+M from within MMC

rakanashu

rakanashu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok well i followed the steps and the "No Liability Accepted certificate" is in there yet it still does the memory dump.. i reinstalled xp a little while ago and its doing it again...

Wonder what the proplem is with my computer..

Rakanashu

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you ever opened the case

rakanashu

rakanashu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yea i have.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check everything is seated properly, not loose or loose wiring

If it has a number of memory sticks, remove all but the one in slot 1

Run the PC and see how it is, if it still gives the error, swap memory sticks

You can also run memtest as well as or instead

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

You can run this to check the drive for errors

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.