Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

• Please log in to reply

yukinojo

yukinojo

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,
My mother's computer isn't able to start-up. The computer doesn't even reach the BIOS section. The first message that pops-up "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected media boot device and press a key."
Her computer is a VAIO, and fortunately I have the same model/type w/win xp. I have used the the "Start up and Recovery discs."
The final message reached from the recovery wizard is "Cannot determine partition settings, this utility exits and your computer is restarted." After that same problem loops back.

Can anyone help?

:whistling:

Edited by yukinojo, 29 March 2006 - 08:32 PM.

Advertisements

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Is your hard drive bigger/smaller than hers?

Does it give a series of beeps when it starts?

yukinojo

yukinojo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
drive is the same size 200gigs. And there is no beep when it starts. However I learned that she plugged in those new disc-less camcorders (The ones w/a built-in hard drive.) She of course installed the the software that came along with the camera.

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Try tapping F8 when it starts up .See if you get a screen with choices to boot.Choose "Boot in last known good configuration"

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
remove the newly installed hardware (camcorder), try restarting and see what happens. If still having problems, try to go to bios and see if the harddrive is detected. If detected try booting from xp setup disk and choose repair installation and see if the setup recognises disk partitions properly.