Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comp. wont recognise DVD drive

• Please log in to reply

damo100

damo100

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is refering to a Dell Inspiron 8000 with WinME if it helps. So when i insert the DVD drive and initiate startup a blue screen pops up telling me that the computer cant recognise the drive (that is, the dvd-rom drive which came with the package and should be ready to go). It fails to recognise it everytime during start-up. Have the necessary drivers not been installed properly? and if so then how do i put them on, presumably they should be on the Drivers and Utilities disk, right? but i dont know the name of them or how to do it.

In Control Panel>System>DeviceManager>-Hard drives there is no dvd drive with a red cross on it or anything, or anything that says DVD anywhere. I think there are no drivers. ?

can any one help me with this one.

cheers

damien

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
In device manager the dvd drive should be in the cdrom or dvd/cdrom area not the had drive area. If the computer does not see it pull and reinsert the data and power cables to see if it will see it again. Try the dvd drive in another computer and see if that computer recoginizes the drive. I have had drives just quit working( including a new one that worked for 15 days) and they won't even show up in XP.

SRX660

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi damo100...

Let's take a look at the upper and lower filters for the cd-rom problem. Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

Make a back up of your registry by clicking "File" in the toolbar and selecting "Export". In the File Name box, type 011606, save the file to your desktop, and click "Save"

Navigate to the following keys and, if they are present...(in the right pane), delete the bold entry. (right click on it and select "Delete", then accept the deletion)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\UpperFilters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\LowerFilters

To do this, in the left pane, expand (click the +) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Class, then click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}...look for the values in the right pane.

Close the registry editor. If you made any changes, reboot and see if the drive is recognized. If not, post back and we'll try something else.

wannabe1