Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or no connectivity when using WPA instead of WEP

• Please log in to reply

Skyliner

Skyliner

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry for all the questions
Im having so many issues!!

I can use WEP wireless perfectly but when i change over to WPA using a wireless router the other computers keep telling me that they have limited or no connectivity!!!?!?!

I have tried setting it up over and over about 10 times and the same thing happens!!

Please help

-Brendan

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Why would you need to use WPA if WEP works perfectly, can I ask...

Skyliner

Skyliner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
cos of the better security and all, as i live on a hill i think alot of people will be able to see my wireless network

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could enable mac address filtering...then only the computers you add to the network can connect to it...password or not...anyone else can see that it exists..but they won't be able to connect to it

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Only extremely sad people are going to sit there trying to hack your WEP key... Blimey, just leave it as it is, it would be a different view if you HAD people hacking your wireless.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Do all of your devices actually support WPA? Not every wireless device does, so you may be stuck with WEP -- and I'd also suggest following dsenette's suggestion.. WEP and MAC Filtering should give you the security you need.

Only extremely sad people are going to sit there trying to hack your WEP key

You'd be surprised how many of those people there are out there..

Blimey, just leave it as it is, it would be a different view if you HAD people hacking your wireless.

How would you know?

Skyliner

Skyliner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hey people :whistling:

thanks for all the info, turned out the firmware image on the router wasnt very happy with me but has been updated and working now!!
Every time i turned it on the pc's wanting to connect to it couldnt pick up an ip!

Working great now

i dont know how easy or hard it is to hack someone - i just dont wana risk it

thanks
Brendan

computerblue1

computerblue1

• Pip
  • 2 posts

you could enable mac address filtering...then only the computers you add to the network can connect to it...password or not...anyone else can see that it exists..but they won't be able to connect to it

Do all of your devices actually support WPA? Not every wireless device does, so you may be stuck with WEP -- and I'd also suggest following dsenette's suggestion.. WEP and MAC Filtering should give you the security you need.You'd be surprised how many of those people there are out there..How would you know?

Hi there,
I don't know what a WEP is :-) Sorry

I'm not sure how to do that. I'm a beginner. A friend told me that i can "short the system and start fresh"???

Ricky(50224)

Ricky(50224)

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[color=#3333FF] Hi I am going crazy with this wireless network. I just put on a WEP secure wireless network and then, I went onto the top of the address bar and then I typed my ip address and then I put in a passphrase and then I click on the generate button. Then after that another screen loaded up and then it gave me four keys of passwords. It said that the default transmit key was the first one. So then after that I clicked on save chages printed my passwords out and then typed in the first one worked great. After that I got bounced off then it said limited or no conectivity. I tried resetting the router and all and nothing is working please someone help me. I am on my neighbor's network right now so but I want to get mine fixed as soon as possible so someone please help me.