Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System won't start-up

• Please log in to reply

nikorasu

nikorasu

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I just finished building a computer - my second ever, and I'm pretty new at this stuff. For some reason, I hit the power switch, and nothing happens. I triple-checked the power button connector, and it's hooked up correctly. I've checked over everything that I can think of.. When the PSU is plugged in, my mouse glows and that lights up, so I don't think the PSU is a problem.

I'm using an Asus mobo with a P4 cpu.

I don't know if any of these could be the problem:

My mobo uses '24-pin EATXPWR' and '8-pin ATX12V'. However, my PSU provides a 4-pin hook-up instead of an 8-pin. The guide said that the PSU would have to be over 350w to be able to run the mobo on a 4-pin, and my PSU is 500w. Could this be an issue?

I also decided that I didn't want an ugly floppy drive. Is this, in any way, required for a comp to start-up?

The connectors that run from the case don't match the pins on the mobo. Although I had a tough time, I'm pretty sure I have everything plugged in right, and the case manufacturer provides very minimal help on this.

Ok.. that's about all I can think. I know it's difficult to have to tell someone what's wrong without seeing the setup.

Any ideas?

Edit: Oh, my PSU is an "Okia". I dunno if that's a good brand. Maybe I just have a crappy psu? I read some reviews and many people had their PSUs blow within a month, and some didn't work on arrival. That wouldn't make sense to me though since my mouse lights up..

Edited by nikorasu, 30 March 2006 - 02:28 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds like a generic brand to me, have you run through our guide to new build troubleshooting go through the list and if is still doesnt work theres a bust componnet and it needs isolated and replaced.

Floppy drives are not essential but they are advisable and they arent particularly ugly they come in all shapes and sizes, ive got a nice silver one that fills the space on the front.

nikorasu

nikorasu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
lol.. ok, I'll get a pretty floppy drive then.

And thanks, I'll check out that guide, just noticed it.

Thanks again