Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winlogon.exe is giving me a headache

• Please log in to reply

blugrl16

blugrl16

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So i'm somewhat computer illiterate...or not illiterate, but just inexperienced i suppose. anyway...when i run ad-aware, winlogon.exe decides it doesn't like it and says that the memory cannot be written or something like that, then it has the option of terminating the program which leads to the ugly fatal system error blue screen, or the option of pressing cancel to "debug" the program which also leads to the ugly fatal system error screen. i don't know if i somehow caused the problem or what, but ad-aware was set to block pop-ups and now its not, which is annoying. i don't know how to fix it, please help!

Advertisements

blugrl16

blugrl16

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
the little winlogon.exe-application error window that pops up says:

The instruction at "0x1005158c" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

by the way, i've already uninstalled ad-aware and reinstalled it....so i dunno :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through this, reasons follow

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

winlogon.exe

Microsoft Windows login process. Handles user logins. Active when the user presses CTRL+ALT+DEL. It is not possible to end this process using the Task Manager. Located in "C:\Winnt\System32\" on Windows NT/2000 and "C:\Windows\System32\" on Windows XP. File winlogon.exe is related to trojan Hazzer. File winlogon.exe is related to WinDir.winlogon. File winlogon.exe is related to NS Keylogger. File winlogon.exe is related to Captain Mnemo Pro. winlogon.exe is an executable file which primary purpose is to start a parasite or launch some of its components. Once executed, the winlogon.exe file runs a process that is responsible for the parasite's payload. winlogon.exe is a significant part of a dangerous threat, but it can also work on its own. DO NOT execute it!
The winlogon.exe file is installed and used by Suclove.
You are highly advised to scan the system, delete executable winlogon.exe and terminate all the processes it started.
In some cases a presence of winlogon.exe does not mean that your system is infected. The file may actually belong to some fully legitimate applications and therefore must stay intact. If you are in doubt, please scan the winlogon.exe file using you regular spyware remover or antivirus program. winlogon.exe is an executable file which primary purpose is to start a parasite or launch some of its components. Once executed, the winlogon.exe file runs a process that is responsible for the parasite's payload. winlogon.exe is a significant part of a dangerous threat, but it can also work on its own. DO NOT execute it!
The winlogon.exe file is installed and used by Ritdoor.b.
The winlogon.exe file usually runs the same named process. This process silently works in background and performs harmful actions. It remains active while winlogon.exe is present in the system. Removing the file will immediately terminate a process and prevent it from running later. That is why you have to manually delete the winlogon.exe file. If you cannot erase it, consider using recommended spyware removers, which will get rid of winlogon.exe and associated parasites for you.
Sometimes a presence of winlogon.exe does not indicate that your computer is infected. It can be an essential system file or a file installed by harmless legitimate software and therefore may not pose any threat to your privacy and the system. Although such cases are quite rare, you should thoroughly examine winlogon.exe before completely deleting or leaving it in the system. winlogon.exe is an executable file that is responsible for launching parasites, loading main components of malicious programs and running a destructive payload. It is a significant part of a dangerous parasite, but can also function as a stand-alone threat. DO NOT run this file!
The winlogon.exe file is installed and used by KillSec.
You have to delete the winlogon.exe file immediately after you have found it. The parasite will continue to violate your privacy and harm your computer unless winlogon.exe and all related objects will not be completely removed from the system. If you have difficulties erasing the file consider using an anti-spyware program.

Please note that the winlogon.exe file actually may be a fully legitimate part of the operating system or legitimate software. Often parasites use files with unsuspicious names, but malicious functionality. You should always carefully check the file before deleting it. It may not be related with malware, but can be required by your essential programs to work properly.