Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Icons and print VERY small (even in safe mode)

• Please log in to reply

LadyJules

LadyJules

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Does anyone have any ideas why XP has done this?
The problem started out with a resolution issue. Had to go into properties with each use and change it to 32 bit. Then the lady "clicked something" and suddenly there is no way to read anything on the screen. The icons and print are so small, you couldn't even use a magnifying glass to read it.
When it was booted in safe mode, the same thing...so small you can't see what you're doing.
If you control alt delete to get the task manager, the box is about 1inchx1inch.
The plan of action is just to wipe it and reinstall XP, but I'm curious if anyone has come across this before.
I spent alot of time on the Microsoft site looking for an answer and all I got was a headache.
Thanks for any ideas!! :whistling:
~LadyJules~

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Can you go to start then click on my computer. When the window open up go to the very top left hand corner where there is a icon of a computer screen. Click on the icon then click restore. Hopefully your windows will be back to normal.

Also, can you right click on your desktop, then click properties. Go to the settings tab and click the advanced button near the bottom. In the display window is the setting at "normal size (96DPI). If not set it to that and see if your desktop is back to normal.

SRX660

LadyJules

LadyJules

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply but I guess I didn't mention that it is so small that it is impossible to read at all....
The display properties box is like 1inchx1inch. There is NO way to read anything.
Anyone else have any ideas??
Thanks!!
~LadyJules~

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the software CD for the video adapter drivers, use it to re-install the drivers

LadyJules

LadyJules

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Even if we had the drivers...the screen is so messed up that it is totally and completely unreadable. There is no way to read anything on there...thats why we decided to wipe it and reinstall XP.
The new installation seems to have fixed it.
I'm still curious as to why this happened.
I've never seen anything like this before!
Thanks for all the help!!
~LadyJules~

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That would be hard to track down now, though I don't suppose you will be hurrying to adjust the setting in properties