Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows installer

• Please log in to reply

cdcahall

cdcahall

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have W XP (OEM), that came with a 3mths trial of office 2003. At the end of the free trial, I did not opt to purchase it, & un installed it from my PC.

I lost all of OE 6 except for the news function, did a system restore, & OE worked again. Of course since my trial period expired, office no longer worked, & I lost my spellcheck, which I have been told is tied into office, but when sending mail I get a pop up that says, "window installer, preparing to install. It stays on screen for about 30 seconds, then I can proceed normally.

Is there any way I can stop this pop up? I now have a stand alone spell check that pops up after the "installer" message is gone.

I have unchecked "always check spelling", & the installer does not pop up, but neither does my stand alone spell check.

Thanks

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you will need the windows installer cleanup utility. http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

just install it, launch, and select microsoft office. click remove. this will prevent the installer window from occuring.

as to the other issues you said you had, are you running windows xp sp2?. If you are not I highly recomend it.