Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio skipping after upgrading to XP Professional

• Please log in to reply

dubyas_dad

dubyas_dad

• Pip
  • 2 posts
In an effort to utilize my 3 Gb of RAM I installed XP Professional over XP Home Edition. During the installation I got an error something like "Windows could not install the file for TapeController...", however, I clicked "OK" and the installation completed.

But!! It sure has been "buggy" ever since. Once the installation was complete, I immediately noticed my mouse had a "skip" to it's movements; so I reinstalled my Logitech mouse software. Also, on each restart, chkdsk wanted to check my C and D drives, but never found anything wrong. I eventially ran chkdsk / R [drive], rebooted and it chkdsk found some errors (it corrected error in index $I30 in file 5). They were repaired and that no longer appears at each restart.

And then I started noticing audio skips (they could have been occuring all along, but I know I didn't have them with XP Home Edition). I uninstalled and reinstalled my motherboard software and the sound drivers. I have reinstalled my video card software/drivers. I have rebooted my cable modem, rebooted my Linksys 4 port router, turned my hardware accelaration for my soundcard to "None" and rebooted, and still I have skips in my audio.

I notice the audio skips when I start a program (namely Quicken), but also when I run a Quicktime file, or Windows media file. And now that I am looking for it, the video is skipping also.

The only error code I get in Event viewer is "The ALi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " It's Event ID is 7000. Admittedly, I can't find the cause of this error.

Other observations: My mouse seems to still have a minor skip. Adobe Photoshop CS2 seems to run a bit poorer than it did with XP Home. The OS has not crashed, nor does it have any glitches that show up in event viewer, but the whole computer seems to have taken a hit in efficiency.

Ultimately, I gotta get this fixed, and then I'd like to do the 3 Gb switch in order to utilize all of my RAM, but at this point, I want this fixed first.

I hope this is enough information (First Post here) and I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by dubyas_dad, 31 March 2006 - 08:07 AM.

Advertisements

dubyas_dad

dubyas_dad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okidoke...I'm pretty sure I have solved the problem.

Apparently XP Professional did not agree with my old Canon Multipass Printer program (Canon CFX-L3500IF). Multipass is a type of network system I don't know much about. However, I do know that once I installed SP2 under XP Home edition I lost the ability to use my Canon printer. I simply changed printers and moved on, but continued using the Canon as my fax machine. While it was no longer connected to my computer, I didn't delete the printer or the software in hopes that Canon would one day update the Multipass software to work with my computer.

I came upon the solution by observing the "Windows Task Manager" processes tab while running a Quicktime movie in the background. (This was in hopes of me being able to see what else was using RAM at the same time the movie/audio was skipping). There was a process called "mpservic.exe" running and using memory, but I did not recognize the process. I Googled "mpservic.exe" and it told me the above. So I ended the process and like magic, no more skips.

So I removed the entire Multipass program and it appears to be fixed.

Maybe this will save someone the 3 days of Anx that I have experienced.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry that we couldn't help you but congratulations ffor finding your sollution!