Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windowed mode

• Please log in to reply

hintswen

hintswen

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I want to play games in windowed mode but some games don't have the option for it. I have tried putting -w or -windowed as a switch on the shortcut and that works with some games but still there are games that i can't get in windowed mode. I'm currently trying to get fallout working in windowed mode. any ideas?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Alot of games just wont support it, windowed mode has disadvantages, why do you want windowed mode perhaps there is an alternative that would do something similar for your needs.

hintswen

hintswen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i want to be able to see other things on my screen at the same time, ie msn, irc, or a movie.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
With a game thats not advisable at all games should be the only thing to run on the system youre actually advised to go into task manager to shut down everything else, and unless youre running the latest dual core youll be getting terrible performance.

If you have to, use the alt tab function to switch between and turn on the sound function of msn so you can here it, or use xfire. Seriously a movie while gaming how does that work, but alt tab is the best way to switch between programs in full screen apps or just in general. But some games dont allow it for the very reason of what you want to do if you cant run windowed you cant artificially lower performance game developers want you to get the best out of games so they A. Run and B. you enjoy them and buy more games from them.

hintswen

hintswen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
well it's a very old game so it doesn't demand much from the computer, and i have watched a movie while playing a game before, and the movie was in a language i didn't nderstand so i was reading the subtitles. unfortunatly alt+tab doesn't work in the game, no idea how to get it working. even pressing the windows key does nothing.

EDIT: BTW, by old i really do mean it. the game asked me to install direct x 3.0c (or something close to that) to play.

Edited by hintswen, 01 April 2006 - 01:57 AM.