Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer

• Please log in to reply

wolftone

wolftone

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hi

Everytime I attach a USB device, inparticular, my Kodak camera, it does something to the ability for "my computer" to load the icons fast. Then the device never works, either the camera or the web cam.

I am having difficulty attaching any more USB devices. The one attached already are fine and work great.

I am running a Gateway 3.2 giga Hz Pentium
1 meg ram
Running XP home edition: SP 2 (Well most of it - the rest won't install, but I have gone over that issue already.)

Thank you

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, click disable all, click apply, reboot, tick do not start the configuration utility when windows loads

See how you get on installing USB components, you could try removing the existing USB leads

Are you using powered hubs

To return normal start up, click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, put the dot in normal start up, click apply, reboot

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, click disable all, click apply, reboot, tick do not start the configuration utility when windows loads

See how you get on installing USB components, you could try removing the existing USB leads

Are you using powered hubs

To return normal start up, click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, put the dot in normal start up, click apply, reboot

Thank you, that appeared to allow me to hook up the web cam. It recognized it immediately. I also saw some things in the start up list that I really don't care if they load or not. This has sped up the boot up process a bit.

It is still taking forever to load the drive icons in 'MyComputer" I had a fix before but I have forgotten how to access my older posts here.

Thank you again

Edited by wolftone, 31 March 2006 - 10:22 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click your name then click profile options

[attachment=7629:attachment]

This is optional

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

I had a fix before but I have forgotten how to access my older posts here.

Thank you again

Here are the Topics you started.

http://www.geekstogo...ult_type=topics

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Also I have found that if you have a Bizzilion folders (You sort alot of music ,Movies,Pics or other things) and you have "Remember each folders view" checked off in settings it struggles to load all the seperate views because there are so many .

My Computer / Open C:

Tools / Folder Options / View Tab

Uncheck "Remember each folders view" Apply

Then in the same window hit the "like Current Folder"

Note :: If some folders you like to have Details and some you show the Icons. Pick which you like the most and setup the the C: folder as such first then hit "Like Current Folder "Button.All you folders will be changed to the view you are looking at .

It did help me.

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thank you all so much. I am back on track

Blessings

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff