Create Account Login to Account

Avast! Firewall or Windows?

• Please log in to reply

whitey_VTS

whitey_VTS

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hi, guys i just recently noticed im running two firewalls (the windows firewall and the Avast! firewall which i was un-aware of)

Basically i know running two is a bad idea and they can conflict so my main question is which 1 to use and secondly i cant find an option to turn the (sygate) Avast! firewall off?? so im currently running only the Avast firewall with the windows switched off..

Edited by whitey_VTS, 31 March 2006 - 08:58 AM.

Advertisement

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Basically i know running two is a bad idea

Hey there whitey_VTS, if I am correct. Windows firewall shouldnt conflict with your Avast. If there where two separate firewalls (eg. Norton and Avast) then that would be a problem.

If Avast is ment to be run alone with out windows firewall. Avast then will disable your windows firewall automatticly.

But for now, it should not be a problem.

Cool :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nah its not a problem, ive been running the windows firewall with avast for the last few days without problem.(i usually have windows disabled)

whitey_VTS

whitey_VTS

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Ah ok thanks guys. Do either of you know how to disable the Avast! firewall just out of interest?

Edited by whitey_VTS, 31 March 2006 - 02:22 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah go to stop on access protection in the menu for avast, but avast is alot better than windows and conflicts less with programs.

whitey_VTS

whitey_VTS

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Windows security center tells me i haven't got anti virus protection but still have sygate firewall enabled when i do that warrior?

Edited by whitey_VTS, 31 March 2006 - 02:54 PM.

whitey_VTS

whitey_VTS

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
HOLD THE PHONE! :blink: sygate isn't Avast! its Norton isnt it?? wow im confussed...

My Norton ran out months ago i thought i had completely removed it.. how can i be sure??

After looking into this i've found part of norton in ym add/remove programs.. without a remove feature :whistling:
Posted Image

and also a Norton folder in my program files.... which cant be deleted..
Posted Image

Edited by whitey_VTS, 31 March 2006 - 03:01 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Norton is a real pain before and after its uninstalled we have a tutorial on removing it.

Avasts firewall doesnt usually register as a firewall because its a firewall but it doesnt behave like a traditional one, you can use other firewalls along with it safely unlike most as its more of a pasive firewall. Im not a malware guy so my explanation is a bit crap.

If you have your own firewall theres an option in security center to disable monitoring.

whitey_VTS

whitey_VTS

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
ok thanks. its all sorted now

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured
Malware Removal How to Guides Windows 7 System Building Download Files Register welcome

Never used a forum? Learn how.