Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Run As" box appears when starting programs

• Please log in to reply

gtbee

gtbee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am running XP Home.

The Run As box appears whenever a program tries to start....asking which account to use and whether to protect the computer. The default account shown is the correct one.

I tried disabling Run As in the registry, but then the programs will not start at all.

Some setting has changed on my computer which causes this and I cannot find how to disable it so the programs will start automatically.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Were the programs installed from a different (Admin) account and you are in a (Limited User ) Account?

Or did you install the programs then change the account you are in now from (Admin) to (Limited User ) afterwards

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also..is the computer on a domain?

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

also..is the computer on a domain?

XP Home can not join a domain.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it surely can't...didn't see that it was home...carry on!

gtbee

gtbee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Haven't changed from Admin to Limited user account or vice versa. Its been this way for a while, but was not always this way and that is why I am wondering if something could have changed a setting (virus, etc..) or some problem with earlier virus protection software. It finally got annoying enough to try and resolve.