Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive ejects the disc automatically

• Please log in to reply

loui1410

loui1410

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
When I put a DVD-R disc (a burned one) into my DVD drive it tries to read it about 1 second and then ejects it automatically. I entered a CD-R disc (also a burned one) and it was able to read it normally. I haven't yet tried to put an original DVD-R disc because I do not have any.

What could the problem be? Could it be from dust or that the drive doesn't read burned DVDs (even though it did read a burned CD disc)?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Normally an optical drive will automatically eject a disc if it thinks the disc can't be read. I suggest you try the following :

1. Try a few different DVD discs. Obviously the best thing to do is try a normal (non-burnt) disc. If this works, then the problem is probably with the burnt discs you are using, particularly if the dvd drive is only a reader & not a writer.

2. If the drive is still having problems with all discs, then you may need to update the drives firmware. Go to the drive manufacturers website for available firmware downloads.

Let me know how you get on

loui1410

loui1410

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Sorry for the late reply, but LGE's website hasn't been working for a few days.

The problem is that this drive is 5 years old, and when I bought it along with the PC, I hadn't have any knowledge about computers and I don't have its box anymore. How can I know its exact model?

I tried EVEREST, but it doesn't show!

Thanks.

Edited by loui1410, 06 April 2006 - 03:00 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The make & model will be written on a label on the top of the drive itself. All you need to do is :

1. Unplug computers power lead

2. Open up case (both sides if they are seperate)

3. Disconnect the power lead from the rear of the DVD drive

4. remove the screws that hold the drive in place

5. If there is enough slack in the ribbon cable that connects to the rear of the drive, then leave the cable connected & just slide the drive out far enough to read the label.
If there's no slack in the cable, then disconnect the cable from the drive first. Just be careful when reconnecting it as the pins are quite delicate.