Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access is Denied - Revisited

• Please log in to reply

dvdguy

dvdguy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Is it Media Centre Edition or IS IT ME?

Hi
I give up - Googling isn't cutting it anymore - I need HELP!

I have three computers I wish to share folders & files across.
My two computers (WinXP Pro SP2) share fine. All shared folders have Permissions set to be accessed by the User names only and passwords are set blank. Everyone,Guests and Users were removed. On these two machines I'm okay.

My wife's machine (Win XP Media Centre Edition SP2) is a different matter. I used the same setup as my other machines:

Hardware is all three machines go into a DGS-1005D Gigabit Switch, which uplinks into the LAN port of a SMCBR14UP router which in turn has connected to its WAN port a RCA 325 cable modem and that is hooked up to a broadband cable provider.

The PC setups are:
  • All the PCs have TCP/IP installed Obtain IP & DNS automatically and NetBIOS “Enabled” over TCP/IP.
  • They all belong to the same workgroup.
  • Simple File Sharing is disabled on all three PC’s.
  • Network Setup Wizard was set to "This computer uses a residential gateway"
  • All have Client for Microsoft Networks enabled on each NIC.
  • All NIC’s have their node type = “Broadcast”.
  • ALL NICS are using the same subnet (IP 192.168.2.*) with a subnet mask (255.255.255.0).
  • They all have a unique computer name and all have a network share defined.
  • Went into XP Security Options and set "Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only" to Disabled.
  • Windows Internet Firewall is disabled and for the ICF Advanced tab Windows Firewall has been disabled for the Local Connection (SP2 issue).
With these settings, I created her user name on both machines with blank passwords but get Access Denied when trying to access a shared folder on my main machine. So on my main machine and hers I set up the user name with a password. Still no luck. So I treid the steps below:
  • I checked the “net user” accounts and Guest plus the accounts for both machines and were all active.
  • I went into MASTERS registry entry for HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\restrict anonymous and set it to 0.
  • Went into XP User Rights and added Guest to “Access this computer from the network”
  • Checked that “Deny logon locally” has Guest removed.
  • Checked that “Deny access to this computer from the network” did not include Guest.
  • Checked that "Network Access: Sharing and security model for local accounts" set to Classic - local users authenticate as themselves
NO LUCK! Still denied. Then I set the shared folder Permissions on my main machine from her User Name to the XP profile account name "Users" and it worked fine. If I set Permissions to any of Guest or Everyone access is allowed. If I set Permissions to her User Name only access is denied.

Thanks in advance for any helpful insights.

Edited by dvdguy, 01 April 2006 - 02:56 PM.

Advertisements