Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DSL Disconnects

• Please log in to reply

FI3ND

FI3ND

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was hoping someone could help me with my problem. I just got dsl and it works the way it should with no connection problems until someone answers the phone or uses the phone to call. When that happens it disconnects the internet connection. Can anyone please help with my problem. Thank You!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geekstogo,
good news this problem should be fairly easy to fix, all you need to do is install some filters into your phone line. What i mean by this is every time you connect a phone into the wall there should be a little filter that your phone wire needs to connect to before you plug it into the wall. Failure to do so will cause crackling noise in your phone line, a sound that isn't very clear and the problem you are discribing right now. They are cheap, about 5$ each and needs to be placed into every phone. If you need an image on what they look like feel free to post back and i will give ya one.
thanx
James :whistling:

FI3ND

FI3ND

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the replies, but have a fiter connected to the wall phone jack but i still get disconnected

Dar1

Dar1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem. My DSL drops when the phone is hung up. I have had the telephone company here many times and they have installed a main line filter and told me I don't need filters on all my phones. We have also replaced the modem and the router to no avail. Any Ideas??

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i would still place a filter on every line just to figure out if this is the problem. Since you'll never know till you give it a try.
FI3ND be a little clearer, make sure that EVERY phone has one NOT just one also be sure that your DSL DOESN'T have a filter if you do this'll cause problems also.
thanx
James

I myself have a main filter and an additional filter for every phone and it seemed to fix my problem

Edited by james_8970, 02 April 2006 - 03:14 PM.