Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cd rom drives?!?

• Please log in to reply

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
hi,

i have to decide what cd rom drive to get, but i know nothing about them. My options are limited to two:

8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software

24x10x24 CD-RW / 8X DVD Combo w/Software MPEG2 Decoder

Unfortunately, i have NO idea what those letters mean :tazz: can anyone explain?
thx

franz

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software

It can burn DVDs up to 8x speed, CDs up to 24x , and burns the following media(CDs):

-R (reads/writes at 8x)
+R (reads/writes at 8x)
-RW (rewrites at 4x)
+RW (rewrites at 4x)
CD-R (reads/writes at 24x)
CD-RW (rewrites at 10x)

24x10x24 CD-RW / 8X DVD Combo w/Software MPEG2 Decoder

It can burn only CDs, and read both CDs and DVDs. Can burn the following media:

CD-R (reads/writes at 24x)
CD-RW(rewrites at 10x)

Hope that this helps.

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
sooooooooooooooo... for the complete morons... what's the difference between a + and a -, and what does 8x or 24x speed mean?
thx, franz :tazz:

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
ok, the complete moron has found out, and believes to know, that 8x = 1.2 mb per second, and 24 = therfore 3.6 mb/s. that correct? still dont know what the + or - means :tazz:
thx, franz

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
ok, another reply lol :tazz: . i'm the spamming master :thumbsup: .
this part is referring to the DVD, right? :
-R (reads/writes at 8x) ----------->it can write/read a DVD with 8x speed(referring to 1.32mb/s or 150kb/S?) You can see that because it says 8X dual layer (what does dual layer mean?).
+R (reads/writes at 8x)
-RW (rewrites at 4x)---------> it can rewrite a rewritable DVD disc with 4x speed (1.32mb/s or 150kb/s?). but where do you get the 4x from?
+RW (rewrites at 4x)

uh yeah, i have no idea what the difference between "-RW" and "+RW" for example!

thx for helping me this far, you made it able for me to understand the only explanation i found on the internet :cheers:.
Thx again if you still want to help me ;)

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
-R/RW and +R/RW are two different standers. Companies couldnt agree on a single stander for DVD Burners and media. So one set of companies developed the "-" stander, and the other companies developed the "+" stander. When the first DVD burners reached the consumers hands, the "+" stander performed a lot better on home DVD players. But now it doesnt really matter what stander you choose today because most burners burn both the "-" and "+" media. Also most home DVD players can read both "-" and "+" media. Hope that this helps.

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
yes it does; thx