Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ok to leave the comp on?

• Please log in to reply

derek44

derek44

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
is it ok that I leave my computer on 24/7 or should I turn it off often?

Advertisements

greatmightypoo

greatmightypoo

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Personally I think that there is nothing wrong with having it on continously as long as you have your monitor and hard drives shut off after a certain amount of time. You can see the opinions of other members here:

http://www.geekstogo...opic=103710&hl=

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, if it is a laptop then the batary will wear out through overcharge, so if you take the batary out or use an already dead batterry, no problem. A lot of places have their comp running 24/7 as a server with no problem.

One last point which is important, if you are in the countryside of somewhere where storms are freequent you run the risk of frying it not only through the mains but also through the phoneline but less so when it's turned off and not so when disconnected.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I generally leave mine on for days (weeks) at a time, but I have a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) which is a giant battery that levels out any power fluctuations and will perform an orderly shut down of the computer if the electricity goes out. I also have a box made by APC like Flea mentioned- all the cables and tel lines plug into it, then it plugs into the computer. Lightning can strike 15 miles away and travel through those lines, frying every unprotected mobo along the way, so the box is additional protection. Yes, I learned the hard way.

Johanna

GeekMan

GeekMan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I leave mine on for weeks...

I only restart it five times a month because I have a weird videocard incompatability issues. After the fifth restart, I have to reinstall the driver because im running a higher driver than recommended by microsoft.

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
my brother keeps his computer on 24/7 365days a week other than when he has to restart it for the MS updates, or when hes upgrading some hardware

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
except for windows update reboots...my comp's been on for the past 16 months...

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
The only time I shut mine down is for update reboots, program install/uninstall reboots...and really nasty thunderstorms with a lot of lightning. :whistling: Laugh if you will, but I ain't taking any chances. :blink:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Laugh if you will, but I ain't taking any chances.

i agree with kat on that one...with my comp at home being so old...if i turn it off...it may not come back on...or at least not come back on working....i treat it as an "if it aint broke...don't break it" kind of deal

tschrock

tschrock

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I also leave my PC up all the time. BUt the operating system you are using makes a big difference. If you are still running Windows 9x (Windows 95, 98, or ME) you need to reboot every 24 hours to maintain stability, IMO.

If you are running Windows NT, 2000, or XP you can leave your system on as long as you like, or in some cases as long as Microsoft does not update it :whistling:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I turn mine off everynight for a few reasons,
1. Saves power, all you nasty people killing the planet shame on you,
2. Its a fire risk, did you parents and fire officials never tell you to turn of plugs, if they didnt shame on them.
3. uses up the lifetime of the hardware
4. pumps out a tonne of heat at the best of time the room would be boiling.
5. i keep mine in my room and ild never sleep if it was on all night as its got a blue LED fan.

But really you know how much energy a PC uses even idling, it costs nothing in comparison to turn it on and off when you need it, and itll save you a fair bit of money as well.

Edited by warriorscot, 07 June 2006 - 11:17 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

2. Its a fire risk, did you parents and fire officials never tell you to turn of plugs, if they didnt shame on them.

should i unplug my fridge? hehehehe that's the first time i've ever heard of a pc being labled as a fire risk for the "keep it on or turn it off" debate...

Techsound

Techsound

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I turn mine off everynight for a few reasons,
1. Saves power, all you nasty people killing the planet shame on you,
3. uses up the lifetime of the hardware
4. pumps out a tonne of heat at the best of time the room would be boiling.
5. i keep mine in my room and ild never sleep if it was on all night as its got a blue LED fan.

But really you know how much energy a PC uses even idling, it costs nothing in comparison to turn it on and off when you need it, and itll save you a fair bit of money as well.

I have read somewhere (need to find the link) that leaving the computer on is Easier on the Hardware, Mainly the Powersupply (current spikes, etc) and the Hardrives, the stress of spinning up wears them down faster.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Really? Seriously think about it, most PCs consume and output over 200Watts that is primarily outputed back into the environment in heat, a new high end machine can out put well over 300W and 400W isnt abnormal, smoe really beasting machines can draw over 500W of power, thats alot of heat you are putting out into something that is actively sucking in dust particles in the air in order to prevent the build up of that heat, its also an electrical device if something goes wrong sparks can and will fly.

Your household appliances are subject to incredibly strict safety guidlines because of the very fact they are rarely turned off, if you go on holiday or away for extended periods you should also turn off your fridge as they are a fire risk as well because they are high efficiency heat exchangers and they can get very hot as well if there is a fault or even the door is accidently left open and the safeties dont kick in and turn it off.

Safety first, it really rubs off on you, ive had it drilled into me for years with the militiary and my dad(a manager in large refinery safety is a big thing there and they take it home sometimes) and now training as an engineer its drilled into me at uni, you really would be surprised at the seemingly safe things that can kill or hurt you.

PS the wear and tear thing is rubbish, the devices are designed to be turned on and off, HDD are active all the time the system is on the spin up on startup isnt anymore damaging than a normal spin they are designed for it keeping them on all the time is just as damaging. Current spikes happen all the time if the PSU is off the system is much safer than connected and drawing power. People use the temperaute excuse but again its designed for it and thermal differences arent huge, you can use the same excuse for leaving it on because prolonged heat and fan vibration can damage it as easily.

Edited by warriorscot, 07 June 2006 - 11:39 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Approximate wastage every year in the UK:

Stereos left on standby waste £290m worth of energy and 1.6m tonnes of CO2

VCRs left on standby waste £175m worth of energy and 960,000 tonnes of CO2

TVs left on standby waste £88m worth of energy and 480,000 tonnes of CO2

Games consoles left on standby waste £70m worth of energy and 390,000 tonnes of CO2

Mobile phone chargers unnecessarily left on charge waste £47m worth of energy and 250,000 tonnes of CO2

Computer monitors - £41m worth of energy and 220,000 tonnes of CO2

DVD players - £19m worth of energy and 100,000 tonnes of CO2

Set top boxes - £11m worth of energy and 60,000 tonnes of CO2

Gadgets on standby or charging run up a £62m bill and use 360,000 tonnes of CO2 in Scotland every year, a study shows.