Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue highlighted desktop icons or no icons

• Please log in to reply

void2k6

void2k6

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
After downloading and running an old dos game, Hexen, I experienced blue highlighted desktop icons plus
an inability to open .gif, .jpg, and .bmp files. I can't even view them as thumbnails. Whenever I change the
desktop wallpaper, on restart it reverts to the previous one. When the bloody thing has done whatever it does at boot-up there are no desktop icons. Only if I open something e.g. "my documents" do they reluctantly put in an appearance. I've scanned for viruses and came up with "Puper" which I removed. As I'm sure anyone reading this can tell I'm a new computer user (about a month) and would appreciate any help whatsoever! Thanks.

p.s. can anyone tell me why we need these [bleep] things? :whistling:

Advertisements

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi void2k6 and welcome to GTG,

Start by making sure that your system is clean, becuase those symptoms make me think it's not. To make sure your system is clean follow these steps here and then post a HJT log in the malware section.

About the bleeps, are you getting some sort of beeping from the tower? If yes, describe the beeps please.

Alan :whistling:

void2k6

void2k6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the advice Alan, I'll follow it through. As for the "beeping" that was the site censoring a very mild profanity(starts with a "d" and ends with an "n")! Sorry for the confusion.

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Its' ok :blink: If that way you solve your problem please let me know.

Alan :whistling:

void2k6

void2k6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Dear Alan,
I've performed the clean-up steps and found some things with other removal tools that my security suite (McAfee) did not. Trojans, adware, spyware, just about everything! Thanks again for the pointers.

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
It's my pleasure void2k6. I'm glad to hear that, it should have removed most of the "bad" stuff. Unfortunately tools do not clean your system 100% so I would reccomend you to post a HJT log in the malware section and let experts run through it :help: That way you'll be more sure you have a clean pc :whistling:

Alan :blink: